Wednesday 15 April 2009

Sloppy Joes Quick and Easy


1 lb. ground meat (turkey or beef)
½ onion-diced
¼ green pepper-diced chunky
¼ red pepper diced chunky
½ c. catsup
3 Tbls brown sugar
1/3 Tbl Allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp garlic powder optional
1 tbsp yellow mustard
¼ to ½ c water
S&P-to taste

Brown meat and onion and peppers in a little oil. Drain in colander. Add catsup and the rest of the ingredients. Add. water--simmer all until water evaporates; at least 10 minutes.
I served mine on toasted multi grain buns. I also used fresh allspice berries and crushed them. If I don't have them I just use the powdered allspice. The peppers can be cut smaller if you prefer them smaller. This is a very forgiving recipe to make a quick dinner.
I have a good friend who publishes on the blog Good Vegetarian Recipes which you can find http://jbsvegetarianrecipes.blogspot.com/ I think she made a vegetarian taco I wonder if you could do a vegetarian sloppy joe. Maybe she'll see this and let us know.

1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled upon yourblog, nice to met you. Great recipe, I love sloppy joes. These look delicious!! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete