Sunday 31 May 2009

The humble garden pea


No recipe for this one but a technique. My husband and I went to the veggie market on Saturday. I love going there. It's the same market that I took the picture for my blog header. Their vegetables are so fresh and tasty and the price is right. We bought garden peas and when we got home we shelled them and I cooked them and I thought I'd share how I did them. I will never ever do them any other way.

I brought some water to a boil. Take the pot off the heat. Pour the peas in and add salt if you like at this point. Put the lid on the pot and leave them alone until you are ready to eat. If you need to (and I did) you can heat them back up when ready to serve. These peas were the best I have ever had. And I believe the reason is they were not overcooked. I think we overcook way too many of our vegetables in particular. Try it and let me know how it goes for you. And besides how easy is that?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What could be easier! I'll have to try them this way...there is nothing like fresh peas right out of the pods!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely as with any vegetable there is a cooked point of perfection underdone or overdone can completely make it or break it

    ReplyDelete