Sunday 14 June 2009

Pasta Salad with Fennel


Ingredients:
2 cups dried farfalle pasta,(bowtie) cook according to directions and drain
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
½ cup fennel, grated
2 ribs celery, peeled and chopped
½ cup garden peas, (I used frozen)
5 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp rice vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Fennel fronds to decorate

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate. It’s actually better the next day. The fennel just gives it a subtle sweetness. You can add any amount of vegetables you want depending on how many you need to feed OR you can half this recipe (which is what I should have done). Other things that would be good are canned or frozen corn, onions, boiled eggs, broccoli florets.

Note: I don’t know if everyone knows this or not but if you don’t like the “stringy bits” from the celery, peel it with your potato peeler and it will remove those easily. Also before I grated my fennel I cut off the end piece and removed the outer few “leaves” for lack of knowing what else to call them. They are usually tough.

Special Note: Thanks to hubby for getting the pictures for me. I couldn’t do this without all your help!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a lovely dish. For the first time, I planted fennel in my garden this year, so it's always nice to find a new recipe that includes it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I love fennel. I tried it grated the other day in just a regular salad and we both loved it. It's such a nice light vegetable to use.

    ReplyDelete