Tuesday 9 December 2008

Red Thai Curry with Coconut Milk


I made this curry for dinner last night and it was a hit. Every time I make it I use whatever two vegetables I happen to have in the house. Last night it was carrots and mange tout (snow peas). The time before it was baby corn and red bell peppers. Just use whatever you like. Even though I might use a stock cube or granules here or there. I still feel like the food I am feeding my family is much better than pre-cooked, processed foods. You can't go wrong with this easy to make, looks like I slaved over a hot oven all day little recipe.
Ingredients:


2 chicken breasts ( I use one breast per person )
1/2 jar Barts Thai Red Curry Paste ( I use mild and it doesn't matter what brand)
3 carrots sliced and pre-cooked
1 package mange tout (snow peas) ends removed and sliced on the diagonal, pre-cooked
1 can coconut milk
2/3 tablespoons soy sauce (I used soy lite)
1 cup chicken broth (can be made from stock cubes)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sunflower oil
Fresh Basil approximately 1/4 cup sliced (optional)

After I pre-cooked my carrots, mange tout (snow peas) and chicken I just put them all in a bowl waiting for the time to toss them in.
First thing I do is slice up my chicken breasts, I slice the length of my breast right down the middle then chop it up into bite size pieces. I then pan fry those until lightly browned in a little sunflower oil and remove from the pan and set aside for later. It doesn't take long maybe 4/5 minutes total just stirring them around to get all sides cooked. I cooked mine on medium high.

Then add your curry paste to a med high pan and let it sizzle just a minute and add in your pre-cooked carrots, chicken, soy sauce and snow peas. I pre-cooked both of mine in the microwave for about 5 minutes each just until they are "nearly" done. Add in the cup of chicken broth, coconut milk and brown sugar. Simmer for about 10 minutes. When ready to serve just before you serve it stir in the fresh basil. It's so worth it.

I serve mine with white basmati rice. I take rice and put a good portion in the bottom of the bowl then ladle the curry over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment