Tuesday 2 December 2008

Moroccan Spiced Chicken with Preserved Lemon



click image for larger view

Moroccan Spiced Chicken with preserved Lemons

12 thighs and drumsticks total ( I used 4 chicken breasts)
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed (I used 2 and I grated instead of crushing it – I am breaking hubby in slow with garlic it’s not his favourite food but it’s oh so good for you)
2.5cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated OR (1 inch)
3 preserved lemons, chopped and seeds removed OR (zest of 1 large lemon)
3 tablespoons Moroccan spice blend ( I will add recipe for it)
300ml chicken stock OR (10 oz)
A handful of pitted green olives (I also added some sliced black ones)
Juice of 1 lemon
1 25gram pack coriander leaves only chopped OR (appx. An ounce)

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Arrange the chicken in a large roasting pan in a single layer. Mix the oil with the garlic, ginger, preserved lemons and Moroccan spices. Rub the mixture all over the chicken. Roast the chicken for 45 minutes. (NOTE: Being as I used chicken breasts which were boneless I only did mine for 30 minutes). Then pour the stock into the tin and baste the chicken. Add the olives, return the chicken to the oven for a further 15 minutes or until the juices run clear when pierced at the thickest part.

Transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Spoon off the excess oil from the juices in the roasting tin, then put the pan directly over the heat and simmer for a minute or two. Stir in the lemon juice and coriander, season to taste and serve spooned over the chicken.

This chicken is sooooo good you will definitely get that new dress, purse or shoes you have been wanting your hubby to get you. Trust me on this one. It’s worth the effort.

1 comment:

  1. This chicken and that spice blend sound excellent. I like the preserved lemon addition too. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy holidays.
    Lori Lynn

    ReplyDelete