Saturday 22 November 2008

Comforting Sweet Potato Coconut Soup with fresh Basil



I made this soup as part of a challenge from a good friend of mine JB over at Good Vegetarian Recipes and you can find her blog here drop by and give her a holler and tell her how good my soup sounded…..hahaha. If you get the chance I hope you will try this soup it’s really easy and inexpensive to make. And it made enough soup for at least three/four people.



Ingredients:
1 medium shallot or small onion, chopped
1 tsp salt (I used sea salt because I like it)
1 large Sweet Potato
2 med white potatoes (for texture)
1 sachet coconut cream or 1 can of coconut milk either is fine.
½ tsp Chinese five spice
2 cups chicken stock
1 medium hand full of chopped basil optional ( I am guessing ¼ - ½ cup, I grow mine so hard to measure)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tsp single cream (optional)

Note: This soup comes out pretty thick or at least mine did. If you wanted to stretch it further you could certainly add a little more chicken stock to make it go that extra person.


Saute shallot (or onion) in a little sunflower oil until done and caramelized a little. Add in 1 tsp sea salt, peel sweet potato and slice in to small , slim pieces. At this point you can either bake or microwave the sweet potato until done. Then do the same with the white potato. In a saucepan add 2 cups chicken stock, sautéed onions and sweet potato, white potato, coconut, five spice and simmer for 5 minutes. Just to mingle the flavours. Take off the heat and CAREFULLY blitz with a hand mixer until smooth. I garnished mine with croutons and a little basil. You could add cream to make it even richer if you wanted to. Dang I am hungry now.

1 comment:

  1. The soup sounds good, Sherrie. So does the chicken. And I used to think that allspice was a blend of many spices, too, so no, you're not the only one, lol. Looks like you've had some traffic visiting your blog. Cool! love ya. Joyce

    ReplyDelete