Saturday 1 November 2008

Farro Risotto


I saw an article over at Kalyn's Kitchen about Farro. Now I had never heard of Farro but it really did peak my interest so thank you Kalyn. I bought a little package and today I got a chance to "play". My pictures do not do this wonderful grain justice. I just love it ! It's chewy , it's oat tasting, it's great !

Farro Risotto
Adapted from the recipe at Food and Wine Magazine by Barbara Lynch
Ingredients
1. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2. 1 small white onion, finely chopped (I used a shallot)
3. 1 1/2 cups farro (10 ounces)
4. 1/4 cup dry white wine (you could sub chicken broth here)
5. 3 cups water
6. 1/2 cup heavy cream
7. 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
8. 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
9. Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the farro and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat it with the oil. Add the wine and cook, stirring until it is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the water, 1 cup at a time, and cook, stirring, until absorbed between additions. The farro is done when it is al dente and suspended in the thick, creamy liquid, about 25 minutes total.
3. Stir in the heavy cream, the cheese and butter and simmer until the risotto has thickened, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Serves: 4 - 6 people

Note: This risotto won’t be like your classic risotto made with Arborio rice. This is more like a creamy pasta dish. And it’s chewy, wonderfully chewy. In my opinion you can use this just like a pasta......I see Mac and Cheese Farro . . .
Sherrie ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment