Saturday 15 November 2008

Homemade Croutons


Edited Nov 23, 2008 to add these are too large. I found that out when I used them with my soup. They taste great but they were just too big. I will make them much smaller next time.

I had a baguette that was getting too hard to eat any more and I didn’t want to throw it away so I decided I would try to make some homemade croutons. Now I have never tried them before but, I like them with my soup. I made two flavors thyme and smoked paprika. Here’s what I did.


I took my baguette and cut it into small pieces. Then I mixed up the following in a bowl. I made two different batches.
1 tsp of either Smoked Paprika or Thyme (I used both separately)
3 tbsp Sunflower Oil OR Olive Oil or butter

You can use any kind of seasoning you want or none at all.

I preheated my oven to 200C/400F and then poured my croutons into the seasoned oil in a plastic bowl to gently coat them.



Then, into a pan which I lined with aluminium foil for ease of clean up. I am all about easy cleanup. I put it in the oven for 5 minutes. Then take it out stir them around trying to get them mostly turned over. Then back in for 5 minutes and that is all it takes in such a hot oven.





Allow them to cool and I put mine in Ziploc bags and put them in the freezer. Expect to see them make an appearance the next time I make soup…..




1 comment:

  1. I love how well you explain everything (even your errors)...rotfl...great blog, my friend!

    ReplyDelete