Thursday 22 January 2009

Mooli aka Diakon Radish


Last Saturday when my husband and I went to the veggie market I saw what I thought was a Diakon Radish. I bought it and came home with my newest treasure and looked it up on the internet and it was a Japanese Diakon Radish aka as Mooli. Diakon meaning big root in Japanese and Mooli meaning radish in Hindu. It's called by many different names in different places. I lovingly call it Mooli. And it's a wonderful, versatile vegetable. I used it first in a chicken stir fry. When fried it takes on a little mild tartness. I then used it today in a salad along with lettuce, olives, smoked cheese, mooli and my homemade dressing. It was much better raw than cooked I thought. It has the texture to me of a water chestnut. I will definitely be buying some more of these. The one I bought was large and I want to try a smaller one to see if the taste is any different. Another advantage to the Mooli is if you eat three ounces it's only about 19 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment