Thursday 22 January 2009

Risotto with chorizo, split pea and spinach




Tonight I am making the risotto with chorizo, split pea and spinach. I have precooked the split peas and chorizo and have them waiting for later when I will actually make the risotto. My spinach is all washed and ready to be chopped up and added at the last minute along with parmesan cheese. I hope it turns out good I had a chorizo sausage and thought why not put that great flavor in risotto. Fingers crossed it turns out okay.


Ingredients:



1 chorizo sausage (I chopped half of it up and pan fried it, careful not to burn) reserve oil

1/4 cup split peas, pre cooked and set aside for use later

5 ounce Arborio rice

1 tbsp margarine

1 tbsp olive oil

1/4 c grated parmesan

2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable (I used chicken)

2 shallots

1 large handful chopped spinach



Place olive oil and oil from cooking chorizo in pan and stir fry shallots until cooked through. I like mine a little caramelized. Add in the rice and stir to coat. When bubbling add one ladle of the broth and continue to simmer stirring occasionally until it absorbs most of it then keep adding until it's all absorbed. When you add your last bit of broth keep stirring and when the rice has about 3 minutes to go add in the split peas and chorizo. I used yellow split peas but green would have been prettier I think. I used what I had. Then add in your margarine, chopped spinach and parmesan and stir to mix and serve.












No comments:

Post a Comment